Public Liability

If you are on public property and suffer a personal injury through no fault of your own, you may be able to make a compensation claim against the owner of that property. The owner of the property should have a public liability insurance policy to cover the cost of a compensation claim.

Typical examples of accidents on public property are a slip or trip in the street, fall in the supermarket or accident due to a poorly lit public area.


In the instance of an accident it is always advisable to report the accident to the owner or a member of staff and, if possible, ensure the incident is recorded in an accident book. Take the names and addresses of any witnesses and, if applicable, take photographic evidence of where the accident happened.

Speak to a personal injury solicitor about making a claim.

How long will it take to make a public liability compensation claim?

We would generally expect a normal claim to resolve between 1 and 2 years.

Is public liability insurance a legal requirement in the UK?

Public liability insurance, unlike motor insurance, is not a legal requirement in England and Wales.

What happens if you don't have public liability insurance?

We would sue the owner directly which could lead to a fruitless claim if they don’t have any money although most public liability claims are dealt with via Highway Authorities who are insured or self-funded.

What types of accidents or injuries can I make a public liability claim for?

Trips or slips on public or private land or spaces. Any injury could be considered and most are soft tissue or bony injuries.

What is public liability?

Public liability is the idea of a responsibility of a person or body to an individual where something happens outside of their private home.

Get in touch today
and start your journey