Landlord & Tenant Solicitors

Our solicitors are particularly experienced in acting on behalf of Landlords, Property Management Companies, Agents and Tenants. Pilkington Shaw has built a reputation for providing the best representation in all types of landlord and tenant disputes. Our main areas of expertise include:

Rental Repossession Solicitors

We understand that there may be many reasons for a landlord to end their tenancy agreement with their tenant, however, as a landlord if you wish to take possession of your property, there are strict rules that you must follow. Tenants have a right to occupation and landlords must be sure that when asking a tenant to vacate the property that the correct notices are served and relevant proceedings are issued, if necessary.

When serving notice on the tenant it is vital that various technical requirements are met in order for the notice to be deemed valid. If ending the agreement is not executed correctly then it may become time-consuming and costly to the landlord.  

Pilkington Shaw can assist in serving the relevant notices, commencing court proceedings to obtain a possession order, advocacy and representation at possession hearings and can assist with enforcement for orders for possession. 

Deposit Protection & Tenancy Deposit Disputes

A landlord has an obligation to pay any tenancy deposits received into one of the three deposit protection schemes available. The aim of these schemes is to safeguard the deposit and to ensure that it is swiftly returned at the end of the tenancy. If the landlord fails to protect this deposit within 30 days of receipt then they are liable to pay a penalty of up to three times the deposit amount.

If you do not receive a certificate within 30 days of payment of your deposit then it is highly likely that you are entitled to claim compensation from your landlord.

If you believe that your deposit has not been protected, please contact our housing and property department on 0343 212 0842.

Get the help you need from us CONTACT OUR TEAM

Can your landlord take you to court?

Yes. Landlord’s can sue tenants for breaches of tenancy agreements which can include non-payment of rent and damage to property. They can also sue tenants to obtain an order that they leave the premises.

Do I need a solicitor to rent a property?

Not necessarily. Advice from a lettings agent can be helpful as can advice from a solicitor but most tenancy agreements are self explanatory and information is widely available online. Advice should always be sought if you do not understand any aspect of your tenancy agreement before entering into the same.

Can a landlord be prosecuted for personal injury?

Prosecuted – no. Sued – possibly. It would depend on how, where and when the alleged incident took place.

Do landlords have a duty of care to their tenants?

Yes. Landlords owe a duty of care towards their tenants and also owe many additional contractual duties dependent upon the terms of the tenancy agreement.

What is a landlord liable for?

If a tenant were to sue a landlord for breach of contract or for personal injury then it is likely, although not guaranteed, that if they were successful they would obtain monetary compensation.

Get in touch today
and start your journey